Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, also known as Avgolemono Soup, is a classic Mediterranean and Greek dish that is both nutritious and delicious. Here are some tips and nutrition information for making this soup:
- This soup is a good source of protein, with chicken being the main ingredient.
- It is also high in vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C and potassium, which are found in the lemon and vegetables used in the recipe.
- The use of olive oil in this recipe adds healthy fats and antioxidants to the soup.
- 1 pound chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless
- Kouzina 100% Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 3 eggs
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Use fresh lemon juice for the best flavor and nutrition.
- To make the soup thicker, whisk the eggs and lemon juice together before adding it to the soup.
- Be sure to simmer the soup slowly so that the chicken is fully cooked and the rice is tender.
- Top the soup with fresh parsley for added flavor and nutrition.
- In a large pot, sauté the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots in olive oil until they are soft.
- Add the chicken, oregano, and chicken broth to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken to the pot.
- Add the rice to the pot and simmer until it is cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until frothy. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot soup broth to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the pot and stir until well combined. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot and garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
Tips to keep in mind while cooking greek lemon Chicken Soup
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, also known as Avgolemono, is a delicious and healthy dish that’s perfect for any time of the year. Here are some health and nutrition tips to keep in mind when preparing this recipe:
- Use high-quality chicken: To ensure that your soup is as healthy as possible, it’s important to use high-quality chicken. Look for chicken that is free-range, organic, and hormone-free.
- Add plenty of vegetables: Vegetables are packed with vitamins and minerals that are essential for good health. Consider adding carrots, celery, and onion to your soup for added flavor and nutrition.
- Use low-sodium broth: To keep your soup low in sodium, use low-sodium chicken broth. You can also make your own broth by simmering chicken bones with vegetables and herbs.
- Use whole-grain rice: Instead of using white rice, opt for brown rice or another whole-grain variety. Whole-grain rice is higher in fiber, which can help keep you feeling full and satisfied.
- Use fresh lemon juice: Fresh lemon juice adds a bright, tangy flavor to the soup, but it’s also rich in vitamin C, which can help boost your immune system.
- Use Greek yogurt: Instead of using heavy cream, use Greek yogurt to add creaminess to the soup. Greek yogurt is high in protein and lower in fat than traditional cream.
- Add herbs and spices: Herbs and spices can add flavor and nutrition to your soup. Consider adding oregano, thyme, and garlic for added health benefits.
Overall, Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is a healthy and nutritious meal that’s easy to make and packed with flavor. By following these tips, you can make the soup even more nutritious and delicious.
Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, or Avgolemono soup, is a classic Greek dish that is popular for its unique combination of flavors and textures. This delicious soup is made using chicken broth, tender chunks of chicken, orzo pasta, eggs, lemon juice, and spices. The result is a creamy, tangy, and comforting soup that is perfect for any time of the year.
The star ingredient of this soup is the Avgolemono sauce, which is a blend of eggs, lemon juice, and warm broth. The sauce is added to the soup towards the end of the cooking process, giving it a rich and velvety texture. The lemon juice in the sauce provides a bright and zesty flavor that balances out the richness of the eggs and chicken broth.
To make Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, start by preparing the chicken broth. You can use homemade chicken broth or store-bought broth. Next, add chunks of cooked chicken and orzo pasta to the broth and simmer until the pasta is tender. While the soup is simmering, prepare the Avgolemono sauce by whisking together eggs, lemon juice, and a ladleful of warm broth.
Once the orzo pasta is cooked, turn off the heat and slowly pour the Avgolemono sauce into the soup, stirring constantly. Be sure to add the sauce slowly and whisk continuously to avoid curdling the eggs. The result is a smooth and creamy soup that is bursting with flavor.
If you have leftovers, you can store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. If you have a larger batch of soup, you can also freeze it for later use. Simply allow the soup to cool to room temperature, transfer it to a freezer-safe container, and leave enough room for the soup to expand as it freezes.
In conclusion, Greek Lemon Chicken Soup, or Avgolemono soup, is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any occasion. Its unique blend of flavors and textures make it a favorite among many people. Whether you make a large batch or a small one, you can be sure that this soup will be a hit with your family and friends. So, why not give it a try and enjoy the taste of Greece in your own home?